Monitoring and Oversight
It is critical that you know your grant’s technical or program officer and keep them informed of any changes or questions about the project.
It is the principal investigator’s responsibility to ensure that project expenses meet the following three needs:
- Allowable: Is the cost permitted based on OMB Circular A-21 guidelines, and was the cost budgeted and approved by the sponsor?
- Allocable: Is the cost necessary for the project’s success?
- Reasonable: Would the cost be incurred by a prudent person?
Remember to submit technical progress reports on time, as most agencies won’t release next year's funds until progress reports are submitted.
- myResearch – A portal that provides real-time, web-based access to associated sponsored research. You should monitor expenditures, sub-agreements, award notifications, invoicing, and financial reporting frequently.
- Research Accounting Office – A Penn State office that serves the needs of both the research departments and the sponsoring agencies.
- Research at Penn State – This site provides you information on financial management and non-financial issues.
- Cost Accounting Standards – A Penn State Fact Sheet that provides additional information on F&A, charges and exceptions, purchases, and more.
- Export Compliance – Regulations for shipping items abroad, hosting a visiting scientist in your lab, and traveling internationally.
- Modifications and Extensions – Detailed information on no-cost extensions, budget revisions, and changes to the scope of work.
- IST Intranet – Additional information on IST specific forms and processes.
- Research Integrity – Penn State policies and other resources which guide research integrity.
- Current Tuition, Fringe, and Overhead Rates