- December 15: Final deadline for applications, including test scores, recommendation letters and supplemental application materials.
- January: The Graduate Recruiting Committee begins reviewing applications.
- February-April: Admission offers are sent via email. Only those applicants with a complete application will be sent an offer.
- April 15: Reply deadline for admitted applicants.
- April 30: Notices of non-acceptance are sent via email.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application to The Graduate School at Penn State. All applicants must satisfy the requirements for graduate admission.
- Upload a one to three page Statement of Research Background and Goals that details your personal motivation for obtaining an advanced degree in the College of Information Sciences and Technology.
- Arrange for three letters of recommendation to be submitted. Using the electronic application, applicants will enter the references' contact information. The Graduate School will contact the reference with instructions on how to upload a letter of recommendation.
- Upload a complete resume or curriculum vitae, which should include current positions and publications.
- Upload an applicant writing sample, such as a journal article, conference paper, or final paper for a course.
- Upload official transcripts from each institution attended. Upon acceptance of an offer of admission, hard copies of official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution(s) attended to The Graduate School for verification. International applicants should submit transcripts in English and their native language.
- Record self-reported GRE test scores, taken within the last five years, to be submitted for application evaluation. GRE test scores must be sent electronically from ETS to the Penn State Graduate School (institution code 2660).
- International applicants must arrange for TOEFL iBT scores to be sent electronically from ETS to The Graduate School (institution code 2660). Please visit the Graduate School website for English proficiency exceptions. The College of IST will accept IELTS scores, but TOEFL iBT scores are preferred.