Some employers require an affiliation agreement or non-disclosure agreement (NDA) to be signed between Penn State and their organization as part of the hiring process. The Office of Career Solutions and Corporate Engagement is not authorized to sign this paperwork. It must be submitted to the Office of General Counsel for their review and signature.
If your company requires an affiliation or non-disclosure agreement, complete the following steps.
- Provide a copy of the documentation to the Office of Career Solutions and Corporate Engagement to determine if it needs to be sent to the Office of General Counsel and/or any other University offices.
- Be sure that any documentation sent is filled in completely and in English. You may also include the native language contract, if you are interning abroad in a non-English speaking country.
This can be a lengthy process depending on the complexity of the agreement, the number of points that are being discussed, and the volume of other work being managed within each office. Please do not wait until the last minute to discuss legal agreements with our office, as the Office of Career Solutions and Corporate Engagement cannot expedite the process.
The Career Solutions office cannot register you for IST 495 until all agreements have been cleared. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
- The University does not provide indemnification for the actions of our students except to the extent that our faculty are on-site providing direct supervision. The University will provide indemnification for the actions of our faculty, if any, at the site.
- Penn State University advises students to purchase liability insurance while on an internship/rotation.
- The University does not provide general and professional liability insurance for students engaging in internships nor to the host sites. Students must obtain their own insurance if required by the host site, and the University and its employees must not obtain nor coordinate the purchase of insurance for or on behalf of students, nor direct students to specific insurance providers.
- The University also does not recommend specific insurance providers. Insurance is available from many insurance providers, possibly including the students’ own insurance provider(s) and/or some professional association-sponsored insurance programs, but it is the students’ responsibility to purchase liability insurance that meets the host sites’ insurance requirements.
- The internship host site might have specific insurance requirements of the student (including professional liability and other types of insurance), so it is recommended that students check the host site’s insurance requirements before making any insurance purchases. Some host sites might be willing to extend their insurance coverage to hosted students, but the students may wish to also purchase their own insurance coverage.
- Students must provide copies of insurance, if required, directly to the site or through a third party service provider such as Certifiedbackground.com. The University will not maintain evidence of such records on behalf of students.
- Students must provide copies of background clearances, evidence of health immunizations and health insurance, if required, directly to the site or through a third party service provider such as Certifiedbackground.com. The University will not maintain such records on behalf of students.
It is especially important for students considering the Credit by Portfolio option to check with their employer regarding NDA's before beginning the Credit by Portfolio process, as it may be easier to use a current position to fulfill the internship requirement. Be sure to contact the Office of Career Solutions and Corporate Engagement to discuss options in a timely manner regarding your internship options, especially as you approach your final semesters.
If an agreement for a Credit by Portfolio is required, and an NDA cannot be reached between the University and your employer/organization, the college cannot accept the portfolio to fulfill the internship requirement.